Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hold On, THAT's who sings that song?

Southern rap is, almost by definition, underground. It's local, grassroots, regional, not national. So by the time things finally get to MTV, if they make it that far, they're normally old news to regional rap fans. Geto Boys, UGK, Cash Money, Swishahouse, Screwed Up Click, the artist formerly known as T.I.P. and many others have been around longer than any of them would care to admit.

But because of the local nature, it can be years after you've become a fan of an artist's music that you actually see what they look like. Now, most rappers are unattractive, but in my opinion, Southern rappers pretty much take the cake. More than once, I've done a double-take, like WHOA! YOU are behind my favorite-song-of-the-moment? I experienced this the other day, when I saw Lil' Boosie (of recent Zoom fame) on TRL...


















Perfect segue to Webbie, a labelemate of Boosie's. I luv Webbie a lot, he's probably in my top 20 right now, but I honestly grimaced when I saw him for the first time a couple of years back...
















Though he would probably vehemently disagree, this dude does NOT look the way I thought...Young Joc, Young Joc, O Young Joc.
























Let us also not forget the guys that obviously win the gold in this category...Franchise Boyz (I could also take this time to point out that their style "Snap" is not original and certainly not native to Atlanta as I have grown up listening to artists from the Dallas/Fort Worth region of the country produce music that is oddly familiar...but that's another post...)




























Southern rappers, if you're reading, don't be offended...it's just my opinion and what do I really know?

Whitney ;)

3 comments:

Britt said...

Lord help this child, she's just her mama's daughter ... LMAO!!! I have BEEN telling u that Boosie could be Flav's son!!!

Key said...

I am over here crying laughing at this post. I am relieved that I am at home and not at school or at work somewhere reading this...

As my bro Mike Mike would say, you shoooo right, you ain't never been more right in your life!

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about the prevalence of technology in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory decreases, the possibility of uploading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about all the time.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cryst4lxbands.livejournal.com/398.html]R4 Card[/url] DS NetBlog)