Saturday, October 06, 2007

The Glam Squad: Brown Suga' Edition

There is an old adage that says (and I'm paraphrasing), "You don't where you're going if you don't know where you came from." I take this completely to heart and am always quick to give props to women that came before me that are doing the damn thing. I feel so fortunate because I am constantly bombarded with images and profiles of women of color that are slaughtering negative stereotypes and chucking the deuces to that passe glass ceiling of opportunity. And the best part is, they do it all with great skin, shining tresses and oh-so-chic stilettos. G-L-A-M-OR-OUS indeed. My top picks:

Tia Williams: I luv, luv, luv this woman! I read about her in VibeVixen mag a couple of years ago and instantly became a certified SYB (shame on you if can't decode the acronym!), ran out and copped both of her books and decided that I would be just like her, but only still me, lol. I met her when she came to D.C. two Springs ago and ran up to her and hugged her the instant she walked in. She was probably a little taken aback, as we were strangers, but I had to explain that I felt like I knew her and that she was my role model.



Mara Brock Akil: She created one of my favorite shows (Girlfriends) and successfully changed the television landscape to include successful, intelligent black women from all spectra. Take that "Lisa Turtle" stereotype! Following that success she came back with The Game and changed the TV game yet again. Most importantly, she's a former Journalism student at Northwestern. Now who says Journalism majors don't make any money?





Lisa Price: You guys know I luv everything Carol's Daughter (especially in the Ocean collection) and the affection does not stop with the line's creator. Queen and I were so honored to meet her last Spring when she visited Howard University and spoke about her early financial struggles and the arrival/influence of Steve Stoute (the m-f-ing dude that brought in heavyweight investors like Jay-Z and Will Smith). Plus, she's got that great balance of work and family with her husband and sons. Luv, luv, luv her.





Christina Norman: Four words-Doing the D**N thing. Let's run down her stats: President of MTV since 2005, former President of VH-1, credited with hauling the network out of financial ruin with hit shows like The Fabulous Life of... and The Surreal Life, undoubtedly one of the most powerful black women in Entertainment. Need I type more? Me likes.





Get inspired people!

Whitney :)

4 comments:

Melissa said...

d, as always. I love seeing strong Black woman shattering glass ceilings and changing the game in whatever field they choose to pursue. Get 'em girl!

Melissa said...

Whew, I am inspired, as always. I love seeing strong Black woman shattering glass ceilings and changing the game in whatever field they choose to pursue. Get 'em girl!

Brittany said...

damn ... where is my inclusion in that post?

Brittany Teal, Esq.

Ebonne said...

yes... all RENAISSANCE BLACK WOMEN