Saturday, June 14, 2008

Freaky Friday

On Friday the 13th, 2008:

10:50am: Awoken by a phone call from a 212 number. Sleepily realize that it must be an employer and answer to discover that my staffing agency is looking for a web writer for a new food website. Yes! Please submit my resume.

11am: After using the restroom, lay in bed hoping that I get the job. Say a quick prayer that I get the job offer and that the rest of my scheduled interviews go well. Go back to sleep.

2:30pm: First interview with Banana Republic. Wearing my lucky black shift dress and sexy, professional patent leather heels. Store Manager Eric seems to like me and asks me to start immediately, must come in on Saturday. Yes! I rarely get offered jobs on the spot.

3:50pm: Glide to my second interview, on a strange yet unrecognizable high. Get a second job offer at the Jewelry company. But it's an unpaid internship...must think about this one.

4:10pm: Riding the elevator downstairs listen to voicemail from staffing agency...got the job with the magazine! Will start Monday! Almost cry from relief...rent is due in 2 weeks!

5:30pm: Tell mother and sister about wonderful day. Find the perfect shade of Cargo Lip Gloss Duo at Sephora. What a great day.

6pm: Text Charreah. She's up for a celebratory dinner :)

8pm: Meet Charreah and decide to head to some Caribbean restaurant. Riding the 3 train and want to go further downtown so decide on Dallas BBQ in Chelsea..then switch to Rosa Mexicano's in Union Square. Settle on Rosas.

9pm: Walking around for half an hour looking for Rosas. Find it. One hour wait for a table for two! No. Char knows a cool place around the corner. Find Punch, a very nice, affordable restaurant.

10pm: Oh no! My burger is way too pink. Polite staff brings me another. Delicious. Aged cheese just whiskied enough. My meal is free! We order chocolate bread pudding + ice cream for desert.

11pm: Bad news from a friend. She didn't get a job that she wanted. We decide that we can't let her be miserable on a Friday night. Go to Herald Square to get her. Spot the cutest yellow flowers on the way. Pick them up to cheer her up.

12:05pm: Said friend is cheered by the flowers! And she's rocking the hottest high-waisted pants. This, I think, is reason enough for her to be happy. Not all can pull off the look.

We decide to go out and notice it's after midnight. "Freaky Friday is officially over," says Char. D'oh! That's why today has been so weirdly great...it's Friday the 13th!

1am: End up at Barna, the only black people for quite awhile. The music is hot though (and the DJ kind of looks like Mark Ronson....) and I get double-cheek kissed by a hot French guy. The lucky dress continues ;)

1:30am: Friend seems to attract the strangest drunken white girls! No less than 3 come up to her and ask weird questions. One is so drunk and reminds me of a crackhead the way she is frenetically dancing. I crack up and we make up our own dance. I haven't laughed this hard in a loooooong time.

2am: A gaggle of guys begin to bombard our trio. One a short Nigerian dance machine, the second a taller, wanna-be cool Bald-y and the third a completely shitfaced, horny, Kappa that acts like a Que.

2:30am: Lips on my neck? The horny Kappa/Que is drunkenly kissing my scalp kitchen! Gross!

3am: Drink spilled on my leg by wanna-be cool Bald-y. Time to go home, but not before horny Kappa/Que gropes and tries to bite my boobs...am I back at a college houseparty?

3:30am: McDonald's in Herald Square. Ahhh, Sprite tastes so good and it's funny when the guy at the table next to us keeps repeating "I lost my mari-juana!" and then looks at us.

4:05am: Damn! We got on the wrong train and we're on our way to Queens instead of Harlem. Get off of said train and cab it back. Cab-naps are so much fun :)

4:41am: I gotta write all this down or I'll surely forget.

4 comments:

Southern_Lady said...

Great and funny post! I'm new to your blog, so hello! Oddly enough, nothing too weird happened to me on Friday. That's a first.

Brittany M. Teal, Esq. said...

You're crazy. But I love my thutha anyway!!!

Ja-Mes said...

OMG I love b. teal and I LOVE this blog!! I need more posts, more FIYAH!! keep doing your thing, lady...

epiphany said...

I love your blogs... once again. funny stuff. i need more