Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Lot of Food + A Trip to Brooklyn Bourgeois Bohemia

Since we've already established that the weekends are the only time I do things remotely interesting, I'll tell you about another, much more tame weekend. My friend Nicole (of the cute and fabulous blog Chestnut Orange) came to town last week to pursue a great passion; two of her photographs were being displayed at Positivity, a photo exhibition curated by Jamel Shabazz at the Danny Simmons' Corridor Gallery in Fort Greene, Brooklyn.


The kick-off for the exhibit wasn't until Sunday so Nicole came to my house Saturday to chill and catch-up. After working my first week at the mag job, I was unnaturally tired (probably because this was coming off of 2 weeks of unemployment) so we decided to spend Saturday afternoon indoors and cook up some goodies rather than spend money on food. Writing about food all day and penning a food column can make a girl feel like she can really burn in the kitchen...even when she can't. Nic, obviously the better cook, made the fried chicken (some with honey BBQ sauce..mmmm) and I was tasked with pasta salad (out of a box), organic green beans (random, I know), biscuits, cookies for dessert and a fruity, carbonated drink that I've named Orangeade Fizz, a mixture of Tropicana Pink Lemonade (2/3) and Orange Fanta (1/3). Try it...it's good :)



















Here's the end result. Nic, being a bomb ass photog, decided to get some shots of the food when we finished. It looked and tasted really good!

Next came Sunday, the big day for my friend who had no idea what she would be walking into at the gallery, but was pleasantly surprised by the great turn-out. Tons of people, all of the very similar artist community that seems to thrive only in places like Fort Greene and the East Village. I've named it la vie noir boheme (you know, like Rent). Just in case your thinking of moving to the area (which is idyllic by NYC standards, I must admit), the prereqs are:

-natural hair (the bigger, the better),
-an African companion (preferably a bf/gf but a close friend will do),
-a visable political statement or two whether it be a Marcus Garvey tee or a Barack Obama lapel pin and, of course,
-the obligatory Ivy League degree, or three

But I digress. It was all around good fun as Nicole and I, along with friends Charreah, Shaena and Eniola celebrated her success. Afterwards we wandered around the city for an hour looking for a suitable place to eat before settling on Spice, a Thai restaurant near NYU. The laughs were good and we were eventually joined by Jessica, the ever-hilarious, but the service was quite terrible. The waitress was weird and continually walked by our table asking the same questions over and over again ("Are you ready to order?" NO! We told you the first 10 times that we're waiting for other people to arrive) before taking away my plate of rice before I was done and attempting to do the same with my lemon chicken.

Later, we walked around aimlessly looking for a Crumbs bakery that was closed before going to a Cold Stone that didn't have waffle cones! What! That's like McDonald's not having fries! Sometime around midnight I hopped a train back uptown to watch the latest episode of The Next Food Network Star that I had missed (I'm really kind of addicted to that show). Sigh, another weekend under my belt.

Pictures from the exhibit to come very, very soon!

xoxo Whitney

No comments: