Monday, July 07, 2008

Black Girls Readin'


If you know me at all, you know that I'm kind of a bibliophile. I love to read and I love (almost as much) to discuss what I'm reading/have read. Enter, Uptown Literatti, a cute little book spot that my friend Nicole and I began back in April.

After one of our many "book talks," I revealed that in my sophomore year of high school I set out to read all of the classics; those undeniable great books that will constantly be referenced in popular culture and in contemporary books. The works that inspire artists of all genres like The Color Purple, Vanity Fair, Things Fall Apart, The Catcher in the Rye, To Kill A Mockingbird and The Grapes of Wrath. I got through about 10% of the list (that the Collegeboard outlined here) that year and read another portion throughout high school and college, but there were so many that I still hadn't conquered. Thus, Uptown Literatti was born.

Two of my favorite readers, Nikita and Melissa, wanted in on the action and so we formed our foursome of readers, and vowed to intrepidly slave through these masterpieces. We started with The Bell Jar, one of my favorites by Sylvia Plath that both Nicole and I related to a great deal. We went on to The Sound and The Fury by William Faulkner and got as far as the second chapter before putting it in our "To-Read" pile. We just finished up A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce and we're on to something more contemporary.




Oh, did I mention, we'll also be compiling our own little list of Great Contemporary Books? I'm angling for us to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith next. My Harlem sublet is ending in September and I'm more than a little obsessed with the other borough these days. I've recently been seen rocking out to this 9th Wonder joint, Brooklyn on my Mind.






Lots of people have an idea about what a classic books makes, and they've outlined it. Check out some of my favorite "good book" lists and start reading. Just make sure to tell me what you think :)

-101 Great Books: The Collegeboard
-Strand 80: Strand Bookstore NYC
-Books of a Century: New York Public Library
-The Complete List of Oprah's Book Club
-Uptown Literatti's Great Contemporary Books

With Love and Literature,
Whitney

2 comments:

Mademoiselle M said...

I'm soooo your groupie. but keep that on a hush.

thanks,
mgmt

Latrice said...

on day i'll be on your level... i'm getting my nikes ready